The Error Code of 0x80004004 can be an issue that is difficult to fix particularly since there is no reason that can be identified for the error. Additionally it is the case that there is no Windows OS is immune to this issue. However, the issue is linked with Microsoft Security Essentials (or Windows Defender – a Microsoft security software that safeguards your PC from malware.
The error could also be seen in various forms, however, when it is displayed as “Error E_ABORT 0x80004004,” it indicates a program or program crash. A few users have reported that they frequently receive an error message that reads: “Virus and Spyware definitions could not have been updated.” The error appears every time they try to update or upgrade their Windows Defender.
A few users have also observed that programs running is either crashing or freezes before displaying the Error Code of 0x80004004. There are many scenarios in which it is possible to encounter the error. It may appear when you’re installing software or updating your OS or Windows Defender. It may even appear randomly while you’re shutting down or booting down your system.
Are you experiencing similar problems when you work on your PC? If yes, then you need not fret, we’ve got your back. Follow these steps in this article to fix this Windows Defender unexpected error.
Why Does the Windows Defender Error Code 0X80004004 Occur?
There are many factors that could cause the error. It’s not easy to determine what’s causing the Windows Defender Error Code 0X80004004 One or more reasons that follow could be at fault.
- Registry corrupted files
- Unreliability of internet connection
- Sectors that are corrupt in the hard disk
- Outdated/incompatible computer drivers
- Software for conflicting antivirus
- Updates not installed
- Incomplete/corrupt program installation
How to Fix Windows Defender Error Code 0X80004004
The error code 0x80004004 is an all-encompassing error. It does not have a particular root, which makes it difficult to recommend the best solution. We have compiled a variety of solutions. We are confident that the solution can solve the problem.
Try the Basics
The first step to get rid of this Windows Defender unexpected error is to identify the root of the issue. This can be done by remembering the activities you performed on your PC prior to when the issue was discovered. For example, if it occurred while you were installing software and downloading an upgrade it could be the cause of the error.
Use the following steps to fix the problem.
A) Affordable Internet Connection
Examine the cables, and restart your router, and do everything you can to make sure you are connected to the internet in a safe and reliable manner. A weak internet connection could stop the download, cause slowdown or hinder other tasks.
B) Clear Out Junk and Malware
Make sure you eliminate possible malware may be the cause of this error message 0x80004004. This can be done by running a thorough scan of your computer using an anti-malware program that is trusted.
C) Delete the installed Antivirus Software
This Windows Defender unexpected error could also be the result of an anti-malware program that is conflicting. You may want to disable the program to determine whether it’s the root of the problem. We also recommend Auslogics Anti-Malware as it doesn’t clash with the top antivirus software. If none of the recommended methods above work it is possible to try alternative solutions.
Troubleshoot the Problem
The issue can be resolved by using your Windows Update troubleshooter. Follow the directions below to start the troubleshooter.
- Press Win + W keys simultaneously.
- Search and select Troubleshooter on the resultant window.
- Select View all.
- Select Windows Update troubleshooter.
- Then, follow the on-screen instructions.
- Revert to what you were doing before you got the error to see if this method resolved the issue.
Remove Junk Files
As time passes, your computer will accumulate junk files which can overburden the computer’s hard disk, and can create other internal issues. Cleaning out these files can help to fix your issue with Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004. Follow the steps below to remove the junk files.
- Search Command Prompt in the search bar.
- Right-click Command Prompt, then choose the Run as an Administrator option.
- Select Yes to run Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Type “cleanmgr” (no quotes) and press Enter.
- The tool will automatically run and calculate how much used-space you can free on your hard disk. Check the boxes corresponding to unnecessary or temporary files.
- Select OK to remove all junk files.
- Revert to what you were doing before you got the error to check if this method resolved the issue. Otherwise, try the next process.
Install Pending Updates
Not installed but downloaded system updates can cause conflicting issues , like the Error Code of 0x80004004. Follow the instructions below to review and install any pending system updates.
- Press the Start key, type “Update” (no quotes) in the search box, and press Enter.
- Select the Windows System Update.
- Navigate to uninstalled update(s) and select to install them.
- Check if that resolved the issue or move to the next method if the error persists.
Drivers are the essential components of your system which facilitate communications between the system you are using and the other installed applications. It is essential to keep them up-to-date and installed to ensure smooth operation of your system.
Drivers that are outdated or not compatible can result in Windows Defender Error Code or 0x80004004 as well as other issues with your system. Follow the instructions below to update your outdated driver.
- Press Win + X keys simultaneously to open the WinX menu.
- Select Device Manager.
- Navigate through the devices list to any driver that has a yellow exclamation mark. (Note: drivers with an exclamation mark signifies a malfunction).
- Select such a device and click Update Driver.
- Reboot your computer after installing the update.
- Check to see if that resolved the issues. Otherwise, try the next method.
Set the Windows Defender Service to Automatic
Automation of your Windows Defender Service is another easy method to fix your Windows Defender error code 0x80004004. This method, however, is only available for Windows 10 OS users. Follow the steps in the following article to make it easier for you to manage the Windows Defender service.
- Press the Start key and search for Command Prompt
- Right-click and select open as an administrator.
- Type in “chkdsk/f/r” (no quotes) and press Enter.
- Type “Y” (no quotes) to respond to the resultant notification.
- Reboot your PC to enable disk check to run.
- Once the tool completes, try to see if this method fixed the error. If not, proceed to the next method.
Try the Disk Check Utility
Disk Check is a similar tool to the Disk Check utility is similar to System File Checker. The tool examines your hard drive and tries to fix damaged sectors and files. But, this technique is only applicable only to Windows 10 users. Follow the steps below to launch the program.
- Press Win + x keys simultaneously to open the WinX menu.
- Select the Command Prompt (Admin) option.
- Select Yes to run the Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Type “chkdsk” (no quotes), press the Space bar once, and then type in the drive letter (e.g., C) that you want to scan. However, note that running the disk check helps to identify damaged files and sectors only. You need to give other commands for the utility to perform the necessary repairs.
- Type “/f/r/x” (no quotes) into the prompt just after the drive letter. Note: letter f gives commands the utility to fix errors, letter r commands it to identify bad sectors in the drive, while letter x commands it to dismount the drive before starting the scanning process. The utility needs to dismount the drive because it can’t run when the drive is in use).
- Press Enter to commence the scan.
- Reboot and check if this procedure fixed the issue. If not, try the next method.
Reinstall Your OS
A new OS installation is the final option for resolving problems that persist. It clears your PC of all your files and programs. You must, however, backup your data prior to installing your operating system again.
It is essential to be aware that malware and corrupted files can be the cause of most system issues. It is essential to install trustworthy antivirus software like Auslogics Anti-Malware to keep your computer in top condition.
If you can solve your Error Code 0x80004004 by using one of the techniques listed above you can leave a message and give our service five stars. We are available for assistance using any of these options.