The error code 0xc000007b is a common problem in Windows that began in particular with the release of the Anniversary Update. Usually, the error message occurs immediately after installing patch or feature updates and prevents certain applications from starting.
The applications affected by error code 0xc000007b are usually different. Skype, Messenger, Microsoft Office, some games, but also other applications may have been used normally before and then be blocked by the error. The error usually occurs with the message “The application could not start correctly”. However, the explanation is not enough for normal PC users to approach the problem from the right perspective.
Many of those affected have managed to fix error code 0xc000007b by reinstalling the app that is triggering the error. This is a good idea if the problem affects just one or a few apps, and removing them won’t cause data loss or other inconvenience.
Methods to Fix Error Code 0xc000007b
The error typically occurs when the 32-bit version of Windows has been mistaken for a 64-bit operating system or applications. Sometimes a system reboot helps fix the problem and should be the first step in solving the problem. Updating the operating system could also fix the problem, as the Windows version could just have a bug.
However, before starting the manual solution steps for error code 0xc000007b , we recommend scanning the device with a PC repair tool like Reimage . The program will point out problems that need to be fixed and it can do it for you. The tool can also restore Windows files and remove PUPs itself.
Solution 1. Install existing Windows updates
Windows updates often fix many problems, and error code 0xc000007b could be one of them. This solution is especially true for those who disabled Windows automatic updates and haven’t installed any new updates in a long time.
- Press Windows + I keys and select Update & Security .
- Now click on Check for Updates .
- The system should automatically detect and install any missing Windows updates.
- Reboot the system and see if the problem persists.
Solution 2. Start the affected app with administrator rights
If you are unable to start just one application due to error code 0xc000007b , you should try to run it with administrator rights. To do this, right-click the application’s icon and select Run as administrator . If you still get the “The application could not start correctly” message with error code 0xc000007b, reset the application.
Solution 3. Reset the affected app
If the program that won’t start is one of Microsoft’s standard applications, you should try resetting it:
- Press Windows keys + I and choose Apps .
- Find the affected application and click on it.
- Click the Advanced Options link .
- Click Reset and then again reset to confirm the command.
Solution 4. Reinstall the affected app
If the previous methods didn’t work, you may need to reinstall the problematic application. You can do it by following these steps:
- Press Windows keys + I and choose Apps .
- Find the problematic application and click on it.
- Press Uninstall and again Uninstall to confirm the command.
- Restart your PC and install the application by visiting the manufacturer’s website and downloading it from there.
Solution 5. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable
If the problem is still not resolved, or if it affects many of your installed applications, you should try reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable:
- Click the Windows icon and enter Control Panel .
- Open the Uninstall Programs section and delete all items from Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable .
- Then navigate to the official Microsoft site and there download the Visual C ++ Redistributable Package to reinstall it.
Solution 6. Reinstall Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
Before reinstalling Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5, we recommend performing a scan with Reimage or a similar professional optimizer. It may fix issues related to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 so that you can avoid manual intervention. If the scan didn’t help, do the following:
- Open the Control Panel and select Programs and Features .
- Click Microsoft .NET Items and select Uninstall / Change .
- Follow the instructions on the screen to completely uninstall the items.
- Finally, navigate to the Microsoft .NET Framework download page and reinstall the framework.
Solution 7. Run the CHKDSK scan to check the hard drive
- Start the command prompt as an administrator .
- Type chkdsk / f / r and press Enter.
- Confirm the scan for the next restart and restart the computer.
- CHKDSK will automatically scan the computer and fix any problems.
Repair the errors automatically
The team at Sicherheitspc.de does its best to help users find the best solution for eliminating their errors. If you don’t want to struggle with manual repair methods, please use software that will do it for you automatically. All recommended products have been checked by our experts and recognized as effective. The tools you can use for your bug are listed below.
Protect your privacy on the Internet with a VPN client
A VPN is essential if you want to protect your privacy . Online trackers like cookies are used not only by social media and other websites, but also by internet service providers and the government. Even if you use the most secure settings in your web browser, you can still be tracked through apps that are connected to the internet.
In addition, privacy-friendly browsers like Tor are not an optimal choice due to the reduced connection speeds. The best solution for ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – stay anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent data loss
Data recovery software is one of the possible options for file recovery . When you delete a file, it doesn’t suddenly vanish – it lingers on the system until new data overwrites it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searches for working copies of deleted files on the hard drive. You can use this tool to prevent the loss of valuable documents, schoolwork, personal pictures, and other important files.