If an error occurs in Windows, the system usually only briefly indicates it with a text that is often not very meaningful, including an error code consisting of an eight-digit hexadecimal number. For many users of Microsoft systems, however, these brief notes are not very helpful, as they neither provide information about the cause nor about possible solution strategies. This article shows what is error code 0xc00000e9 windows 10 to do with the error code in an unexpected I / O error is displayed (unexpected i / o error) of a disk.
Error code “0xc00000e9”: Possible hardware errors and solutions
The 0xc00000e9 error occurs either randomly during operation or only when reading and writing data on a specific drive. It is particularly serious if the error occurs during the boot process and Windows can no longer start as a result.
In order to fix the error, you first need to find out which drive is affected. If this error always occurs on a particular drive , you can narrow down the troubleshooting. So, for example, disconnect all external drives from the PC and then everything runs smoothly, you know: one of the external drives must be faulty.
Often the error can be traced back to damaged or not tight cable connections . If you replace the USB cable on an external drive, the error can sometimes be eliminated.
In the case of built-in hard drives, unscrew the PC after you have shut it down and disconnected from the power supply, and check that the SATA cables are seated. These cables can become loose over time due to vibrations from the fan and hard drives. It also happens again and again that the contacts corrode and a reliable connection is no longer established. If in doubt, simply replace the SATA cables.
If the error “0xc00000e9” only occurs when reading a certain CD or DVD, it is defective in most cases. You can then only try to copy as much data as possible from the CD to the hard drive. A repair is not possible on a write-protected data carrier. tip
In some cases, an outdated or damaged device driver is also responsible for the unknown input / output error. Then you can fix the problem in the following ways:
- Open the system menu by right-clicking on the Windows logo in the taskbar. Select “ Device Manager ” there.
- If you double-click on ” Drives “, a list of all the drives connected to this PC appears.
- Right-click the faulty drive and select ” Update Driver ” from the context menu .
- If you have multiple hard drives, it is not always easy to find the right one, as the drives are listed in the device manager not with their drive letters but with their device names . If you double-click on a drive, the drive letters on this data carrier will be displayed in the next window in the “Volumes” tab. If this window is empty, click on “ Fill ” to get the drive data displayed.
Use drive repair tools to error code 0xc00000e9 windows 10
If you can rule out a specific hardware error, you should try to fix error code 0xc00000e9 error with a tool. A number of standard tools are available for this purpose – such as error checking for data carriers , which you can run as a graphical application or as a command line solution (with the name chkdsk).
Error checking with graphical tool
- If you have found the faulty drive, right-click on the drive in Explorer and select ” Properties ” in the context menu .
- Go into the “Tools” tab and select the option ” Check ” to start a review of the drive.
- Depending on the size and amount of data, the check can take several minutes. Do not use other programs to access the drive during this process . It is best to close all programs and also exit third-party malware scanners to prevent them from accessing the drive.
Error checking with the command line tool chkdsk
- First, close any windows that show the drive you want to check and exit any programs that might be accessing the drive.
- Right-click on the Windows logo in the taskbar to open the system menu. Select “ Command Prompt (Administrator) ” or “ Windows PowerShell (Administrator) ”. Depending on the configuration of Windows, only one of these two menu items is displayed.
- In the respective command line, enter the drive letter of the drive to be repaired followed by a colon to change to this drive.
- With the command ” chkdsk / f ” you start the detailed repair, which takes some time.
- If another Windows process is accessing the drive, a corresponding message is displayed. If you confirm this message with the [J] key, this drive will be unmounted for Windows.
The system drive (here C 🙂 can not be checked with chkdsk during operation. With the [J] key you can initiate the system and then start the automatic test of the drive at the next restart.
What should I do if Windows does not start anymore because of the error “0xc00000e9”?
In severe cases, an error on the system drive can prevent Windows from booting.
Often it is only a weak BIOS battery or an incorrect setting in the BIOS that prevents Windows from starting. In such cases, the following two approaches can help:
- Before booting, press the key displayed on the BIOS screen, usually [F2] or [Del], to access the BIOS settings. There you will find the option to reset the BIOS to default settings , which is sufficient in most cases.
- In some cases it also helps to set the system hard drive as the default boot drive and to switch off the optionally displayed boot menu in order to resolve problems such as the error code “0xc00000e9”.
If the BIOS is set correctly and the PC continues to display the 0xc00000e9 message when Windows starts, Windows System Repair will help. The Windows 10 boot manager contains extended start options for such cases , which enable the operating system to be repaired or the data to be saved:
- Restart your computer and click Change Defaults or Choose Other Options on the Boot Manager home page .
- Press “Select more options” and click “ Troubleshoot ” in the next window . If necessary, you can reset the PC to the original settings in the following menu.
- Alternatively, you can use ” Advanced Options ” to access additional system repair functions, which in many cases can be used to get a damaged Windows system running again.
With ” Restore system “, for example, you can restore an earlier state. For this purpose, you can select a system restore point that was previously created on the PC using Windows System Restore. In this way, the error “0xc00000e9” can often be eliminated if, for example, file system errors have occurred due to incorrectly used tuning software or a program crash during a write process. If the boot block on the hard disk is the reason why Windows does not start – a very common cause, by the way – the “ Startup Help ” option will help .