How to fix Skyrim black screen in Windows 10. If Windows 10 only shows a black screen after booting, there are different reasons for this. We’ll explain what they are and how you can counter them.
What is causing a Skyrim black screen?
There are a great many reasons that can lead to a black screen. Often there are hardware problems or software errors.
Is there an easy solution to fix the problem?
The simplest solution is to restart the computer. If that doesn’t help, you should try different solutions.
What does it mean if a mouse pointer or a loading circle can still be seen?
In this case, there is a software problem that may be resolved by updating the driver or troubleshooting.
1. Identify errors
If the screen stays black after booting Windows 10, this can have many causes. In most cases this is just a minor mistake and nothing to worry about.
Because often the problem can be solved relatively easily. The main difficulty is finding the right solution. Therefore, we are going to introduce you to some of the causes of a black screen in Windows 10 and how you can possibly fix the error.
Software errors as the cause of a black screen in Windows 10
The following errors are often the cause of the screen remaining black. Sometimes this is already the case when starting up, sometimes only after logging in.
- The screen is not recognized or Windows 10 is looking for the wrong port.
- The problem often also occurs when two monitors are connected.
- The driver , especially the graphics card, can also trigger a black screen in Windows 10.
- Also Updates unfortunately can occasionally cause problems and cause a black screen.
1.2. Hardware error
Problems do not always have to arise in the software, they can of course also affect the hardware. In this case, the screen remains black when it boots up. This can be due to the following reasons:
- The connection cable on the computer or monitor is loose or damaged.
- The power cord on the monitor is not plugged in properly.
- The monitor is defective . If you have another one, connect that one for comparison.
- The monitor is switched on, but the brightness is set too dark to see anything.
- Some hardware is incompatible with Windows 10 and therefore causes problems. Disconnect all devices such as mouse, keyboard or external hard drives from the computer or laptop and restart it.
2. First Troubleshooting Steps
To ensure that your computer is not simply in standby mode, move the mouse pointer and click anywhere. Briefly pressing the power button again brings your computer out of energy-saving mode.
If the screen remains black, it is never wrong to try a restart first. Many problems can be solved by themselves. If that doesn’t solve the problem, try the following options.
3. Windows 10: black screen due to monitor problems
First check the connection between the monitor and the computer and make sure that nothing is loose and that all connections are tight. The cable itself may also be damaged. It is best to try a different connection such as HDMI or DVI.
Another cause could also be the use of two screens.
- Enter the key combination “Windows + P”.
- This allows you to select different screen modes .
- See if another mode fixes the problem.
- If you still get a black screen, shut down your computer.
- Remove the cable from the second monitor and restart the computer.
- If your screen is now displayed as usual, log in and reconnect the second screen.
4. Windows starts: Troubleshoot before or after logging in
One of the most common errors is a video card driver problem. This usually only occurs after the PC has been started , before the login screen is reached.
- Start the computer as usual until you have the black screen in front of you.
- Now press the space bar or the Ctrl key and “blindly” enter your password for the login .
- Confirm with Enter. With a little luck, the normal desktop should appear again.
- Then install the latest graphics drivers to resolve the issue.
Tip: You can find out how to keep your drivers up-to-date in this article .
Black Screen after Update
Occasionally it can also happen that Windows 10 shows a black screen after a system update. This was most recently the case in June when several people complained of a black screen on startup.
In this case it might help if you enter the key combination “Ctrl + Alt + Del”. A power button then appears in the lower right corner, which you can use to restart the computer. Ideally, the problem is then resolved.
Call Up the Task Manager
If you only see a black screen with the mouse pointer , enter the key combination “Ctrl + Alt + Del”. You now have access to the Task Manager , which you can use to troubleshoot the error. You can find out how to do this in this video:
5. Computer does not start up
If the problem already occurs when the computer has not yet started , this is often due to the fact that it has stuck with a problem. In this case, a charging circle that rotates incessantly appears and the message ” Automatic repair is being prepared ” or “PC diagnosis is in progress” often appears .
- Long press the power button to turn off the computer.
- Restart the computer.
- The computer will now enter repair mode .
- Choose Troubleshoot, then choose Update or Reset your PC, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
If this tip doesn’t work, try the following trick:
- Turn off the PC and restart it as described above.
- During startup, press the F8 key several times . This will open Safe Mode, which will show you some basic options.
- Go to Troubleshoot, Advanced Options, and then Startup Settings.
6. Didn’t find the Right Solution?
Tried different options but Windows 10 still showing the black screen? Unfortunately, there are many causes that cannot all be listed here.
skyrim screen goes black for a few seconds. In this case, you should contact a repair service. If your device is still under warranty, contact the manufacturer.