Microsoft has rolled out a new optional update for Windows 10. The cumulative update KB5003690 brings a number of bug fixes and improvements. Among other things, the problem with the new “Messages and Interests” feature in the system tray has been resolved. The performance when using games has also been improved after a number of users complained of problems after the last update. As usual, you will find the changelog below.
Windows 10 Update KB5003690 – This is new
The optional update is available for Windows 10 versions 2004, 20H2 and 21H1.
- Addresses an issue that could cause inter-app communication to stop working after enabling the App Mgmt_COM_SearchForCLSID policy.
- Addresses a performance issue in the MultiByteToWideChar () function that occurs when used in a non-English locale.
- Addresses an issue where collation does not work properly when using multiple versions of National Language Support (NLS) collation.
- Addresses an issue with a small subset of users experiencing lower than expected game performance after installing KB5000842 or later.
- Addresses an issue that could cause the Japanese Input Method Editor (IME) to suddenly stop working while you are typing.
- Addresses an issue that causes WMIMigrationPlugin.dll to return an error when you try to migrate in offline mode.
- Addresses an issue with the PowerShell Set-Rule Option command that does not provide the option for the Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) policy to treat files signed with an expired certificate as unsigned.
- Addresses an issue that could cause Windows to stop working when using AppLocker to validate a file that has multiple signatures. The error is 0x3B.
- Addresses an issue that could cause BitLocker to go into recovery mode after updating the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) firmware. This occurs when the “Interactive Logon: Machine Account Lockout Threshold” is set and incorrect password attempts have been made.
- Addresses an issue that causes Windows to generate many AppLocker or Smart Locker success events.
- Addresses an issue with authentication for a domain controller when Credential Guard and Remote Credential Guard are enabled.
- Addresses an issue that could prevent certain screen reading apps from running when Hypervisor Protected Code Integrity (HVCI) is enabled.
- Fixes an issue where login with a PIN fails. The error message is: “Something happened and your PIN is not available. Click to set up your PIN again. “
- Adds Windows support for System Administrative Mode Protection (Firmware Protection Version 2.0) for certain processors that support Secure Launch.
- Addresses an issue that in certain cases could cause you to get out of the exclusive Virtual Reality (VR) app and back to Windows Mixed Reality Home when you press the Windows button on your controller. With this update, the Windows Start menu appears when you press the Windows key. When you close the start menu, you’ll be returned to the exclusive VR app.
- Improves the accuracy and efficiency of the analysis of sensitive data in the Microsoft 365 Endpoint Data Loss Prevention (DLP) Classification Engine.
- Resolves an issue with the Internet Key Exchange (IKE) VPN service on Remote Access Server (RAS) servers. Periodically, users cannot establish a VPN connection to the server using the IKE protocol. This problem can occur several hours or days after restarting the server or restarting the IKEEXT service. Some users can connect while many others cannot connect because the service is in DoS protection mode which limits incoming connection attempts.
- Addresses an issue that causes Wi-Fi connections to fail due to an invalid Message Integrity Check (MIC) in a four-way handshake when Management Frame Protection (MFP) is enabled.
- Addresses an issue that could cause a VPN to fail after renewing a certificate that was automatically registered by the user. The error message is “There are no more files”.
- Fixes a problem with the Tunnel Extensible Authentication Protocol (TEAP), which replaces the outer identity with “anonymous” even though identity protection is not selected or deactivated.
- Addresses an issue that could cause Remote Desktop sessions to become unresponsive while User Datagram Protocol (UDP) is enabled.
- Adds support for the USB test and measurement class.
- Addresses an issue in Adamsync.exe that affects the synchronization of large Active Directory subtrees.
- Fixes a bug that occurs when the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) bind cache is full and the LDAP client library receives a referral.
- Fixes a redirector stop error caused by a race condition that occurs when the system deletes binding objects when connections are closed.
- Addresses an issue that prevents users from setting or querying disk quotas on the C drive.
- Addresses an issue that could cause 16-bit applications running on the NT Virtual DOS Machine (NTVDM) to stop working when you open them.
- Addresses an issue that could cause fontdrvhost.exe to stop working when Compact Font Format Version 2 (CFF2) fonts are installed.
- Fixes an issue that could result in End User Defined Characters (EUDC) not being printed correctly due to font fallback settings.
- Addresses an issue that resulted in blurry text on the Messages and Interests button on the Windows system tray with some display configurations.
- Resolves an issue with the graphics of the search box in the Windows system tray that occurs when you use the context menu on the system tray to turn off Messages and Interests. This graphics problem is especially noticeable when you are using dark mode.
- Addresses an issue that could cause fingerprint sign-in to fail after starting or resuming the system from hibernation.
- Addresses an issue that could cause high-pitched noise or squeaking in certain apps when playing 5.1 Dolby Digital audio through certain audio devices and Windows settings.
To download the optional Windows 10 update, you have to actively select it in the Windows settings. Users who want to wait will then automatically receive the update on the next patch day.