Windows Update is of great importance on every major version of Windows because it allows the operating system to download and install the latest updates along with bug fixes and security fixes. However, when you update Windows 10, you may find that things are not the way you want them to be.
Some users have reported experiencing update Windows 10 error code 0x8007007e. Why would this code occur? How to fix it?
Reasons for update Windows 10 Error Code 0x8007007e
Update windows 10 Error Code 0x8007007e can be caused by interference from third-party antivirus programs, software conflict, corrupted registry, and corrupted system files, sometimes with the error message “Windows has encountered an unknown error” or “Impossible install the update ”. So how do you fix the error code 0x8007007e?
To fix Windows 10 Error Code 0x8007007e, you can try the following 7 most effective methods.
Solution 1. Disable third-party antivirus programs and Windows Firewall
Normally, you should not disable antivirus programs on your computer as they can protect your computer from viruses and other security threats. However, since update Windows 10 error code 0x8007007e is possibly caused by interference from antivirus software, you can temporarily disable them. Once the Windows 10 update is complete, you can turn them back on.
Step 1. In the system tray (in the lower right corner), you can right click on the antivirus program icon and disable it.
Step 2. In the Windows Cortana search box, type Control Panel and select the best match.
Step 3. When you open Control Panel, click System and Security .
Step 4. Then click Windows Defender Firewall.
Step 5. In the left window, click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
Step 6. Select Turn off Windows Defender Firewall and restart your PC. Try to open Windows Update again and see if you can fix Windows 10 Update error 0x8007007e.
If you find that this method does not work for you, follow the steps above to enable your firewall and re-enable the antivirus software. Otherwise, your computer will be vulnerable to attacks when your computer is connected to the Internet.
Solution 2. Run Windows Update troubleshooter
Windows Update troubleshooter resolves several of these update errors. Some users reported that they fixed the issue with update windows 10 error code 0x8007007e by running Windows Update Troubleshooter.
If you are having problems with Windows Update, you can try using Windows Update Problem Solver to fix them. The detailed steps are shown below.
Step 1. Download Windows update Troubleshooter from Microsoft official site.
Step 2. Install Windows Update Problem Solver and run it. When you go to the following interface, select Windows Update , and then click Next .
Step 3. Wait for the troubleshooter to detect the problems and follow their instructions to resolve the detected problems.
If any Windows update issues are found, the troubleshooter will fix them automatically. When the process is finished, you can try Windows Update to see if the error code 0x8007007e goes away. If Windows Update Problem Solver cannot help you resolve this problem, try the next method.
Solution 3. Perform a clean start
The software conflict could also lead to Windows Update error 0x8007007e on Windows 10. You can perform a clean boot to see if update windows 10 error code 0x8007007e is caused by third-party software or service. With the help of a clean start, you can eliminate software conflicts.
Step 1. Right-click on the Windows Start menu and choose Run .
Step 2. Enter msconfig and press Enter . You will then access the following interface.
Step 3. Click the Services tab . Then check Hide all Microsoft services and click Disable all (if the button is not grayed out).
Step 4. Click the Startup tab and select Disable All . If there is no option to disable all options, click Open Task Manager .
Step 5. Now select each task and click Disable .
Step 6. Then restart your computer.
Step 7. Check Do not show this message or start the system when the System Configuration Utility window appears.
Solution 4. Repair corrupted system files
Corrupted system files can also cause update error in Windows 10 (error code 0x8007007e). You can fix system file corruption to repair Windows Update by following these steps.
- Enter cmd in the Windows Cortana search box, right click on the top result and select Run as administrator .
- Enter the following DISM command to repair corrupted system files and press Enter .
- dism.exe / Online / Cleanup-image / Restore health
- Step 3. Once it’s done, enter the following SFC command to repair system files and press Enter .
After completing the steps, the corrupted system files should have been repaired and the Windows update problem should have been fixed, and you can update Windows 10 again to check if the error 0x8007007e is gone.
Solution 5. Reset Windows Update components
This method can help you restart the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), Encryption, MSI installer, and Windows Update services and rename the Software Distribution and Catroot2 folders, which fixes error code 0x8007007e. Now carefully follow the steps below.
- Enter cmd in the Windows Cortana search box. Find the best match and right click on it to choose Run as administrator .
- Enter net stop wuauserv and press Enter .
- Enter net stop cryptSvc and press Enter
- Enter net stop bits and press Enter .
- Enter net stop msiserver and press Enter .
- Enter ren C: \ Windows \ SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old and press Enter .
- Enter ren C: \ Windows \ System32 \ catroot2 Catroot2.old and press Enter .
- Enter net start wuauserv and press Enter .
- Enter net start cryptSvc and press Enter .
- Enter net start bits and press Enter .
- Enter net start msiserver and press Enter .
- Close Command Prompt.
Make sure you type the correct command in the Command Prompt window. After completing all the steps, try updating Windows again and it should work without any issues.
Solution 6. Download the NET Framework 4.7 offline installer package
Windows 10 error code 0x8007007e can be caused by missing or damaged Microsoft NET Framework 4.7 module. In this case, you need to download the Microsoft NET Framework 4.7 offline installer package.
- Download the NET Framework 4.7 offline installer package from the Microsoft Download Center.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the module.
- Restart your computer. After that, try to install the required update. The problem should be solved.
Solution 7. Reinstall Windows 10 to its latest version
If none of the above methods helps, you can reinstall Windows 10 to the latest version with Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Either way, reinstallation is safe and will only upgrade your system. computer to the latest version.
However, before reinstalling Windows 10, you should take a backup of the disk in case of data loss. To make a disk backup, it is highly recommended to use Mini Tool Partition Wizard Free Edition.
MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition is an all-in-one partition manager, which can help you format partition, resize partition, extend partition , check file system, convert MBR to GPT , delete disk, migrate disk ‘OS to SSD / HD , etc. It is also free disk cloning software. Disk copying with MiniTool Partition Wizard is very easy. Now follow the tutorial step by step.
- Download MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition by clicking the following button. Install it on your computer and launch it to access the main interface.
- Next, choose Copy Disk from the left action panel.
- Choose a disk to copy the source content to and click Next . And click Yes in the pop-up window to continue.Note: All data on the target disk will be destroyed, so make sure there is no important file on the disk or that you have made backups beforehand.
- Review the changes to be made on the target disk. You can also change the copy options yourself if necessary. You can also change the size of the partition by moving the scroll bar. Then click Next to continue.
- On this page, MiniTool Partition Wizard will tell you how to boot from destination hard drives if you are cloning a system drive. Then click on Finish .
- On this page, you can preview the changes to be made on the target disk. As you can see, Disk 2 has the same disk layout as Disk 1. Finally, you need to click Apply to allow pending operations.
Now follow the steps below to perform a clean install of Windows 10 .
- Create Windows 10 installation media using Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool .
- Insert the USB flash drive or DVD / CD disc from Windows 10 installation media into your computer with error code 0x8007007e and boot from it.
- Select your preferred language and click the Next button to continue.
- Click Install Now .
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation configurations.
- Let it install. The installation process will start and your PC will restart. Once finished, all you have to do is log in with your account.
After reading this post, you will no doubt find that it is not that hard to troubleshoot Windows update issues as there are so many methods to help you out. If you get Windows update error code 0x8007007e, you can try the 7 methods above to fix it. Hope this post is helpful to you.
If you have any questions on how to fix Windows 10 update error code 0x80070070 or have a better solution, you can leave a message in the following comment box and we will get back to you as soon as possible. If you need help using MiniTool software, you can contact us via https://errorslab.com/ .